For almost all of your 100 and 200 level courses, and some of your 300s and 400s, you can probably find the international copy of your textbook on eBay. These versions of the textbook are paperback, intended for resale in developing economies and, for that reason, are usually about a quarter of the price of their University store hardcover equivalent. Simply search for only the ISBN in eBay and look for the result that says “international copy” in the description. Make sure that the seller has a decent rating before placing an order.
This guide explains how to add description meta tags to your posts and pages in WordPress
- Head into the backend/dashboard of your WordPress site
- Go to the posts section
- Click on post that you want to add a description to
- Go down to the Custom Fields section
- Add a new custom field called: description
- Enter the text for your WorPress description meta tag into the Value field
- Hit Update or Publish in the top right, and you’re finished!
Although Flac gives you a far superior sound quality, the files are large and impossible to transfer to most big market mp3 players. In order to get these cumbersome files into itunes on your mac we need to get a piece of open source software called Max which you can get here .
Decompress and open the application.
First we need to pick the format that we would like our flac files to be converted into. Along the top select Max>Preferences or simply press command+, to open preferences. In preferences select format, this is where we select what we would like to convert our .flac files into. Click on the MP3 option in the “Available output formats” list and then press the plus button to the left above the list as shown here:
Max will drop down a set of quality options, I advise selecting best to retain as much audio quality as we can when we convert to MP3. Set the Encode Quality to best and select “OK” to continue. Now that we’re back to the Formats menu, click the check box to the left of MP3 in the “Configured output formats” and close the window.
From the File menu, select “Convert Files…” or press command+shift+O. This will bring up the file conversion screen. Find the files that you want to convert on your hardrive and select Open. You can change the meta data of the music; the album, artist, genre, ect that will show up in itunes along with the song, by clicking “Metadata.”
Select the convert button in the top left corner of that screen to start converting your FLAC files into MP3. Max will automatically add the files to your iTunes library to be put on your ipod.
This guide explains how to edit your WordPress site from your Blakberry smartphone.
- First of all, you have to enable XML-RPC on your WordPress site
- To do this, go into your backend and select Settings -> Writing
- Make sure that XML-RPC is checked off under the Remote Publishing heading and save the settings as below:
- Now you have to install WordPress 1.0 on your BlackBerry
- Open up App World on your BlackBerry
- Search WordPress
- Download and Install WorPress 1.0
The first time you fun the app you will be will have to set the permissions of the app and grant it trusted status
- Now Simply add your blog using your URL
- Fill in your Username andPpassword
- You can select to have WordPress on BlackBerry automatically resize your images so that you can transfer them more quickly – and avoid using up your monthly data.
- Once you’ve logged in it’s very straightforward to add/edit/delete posts pages and comments
This guide explains how to add a disclaimer to the bottom of your Arthemia themes WordPress site.
- Head into the backend of your WordPress site
- Select Appearance -> Editor
- Select Footer (footer.php) from the menu on the right
- Find the following line of code:
- <!– <?php echo get_num_queries(); ?> queries. <?php timer_stop(1); ?> seconds. –>
- Paste your disclaimer directly below this line. You might want to put in a line break (<br>) just before your disclaimer so that it begins on a new line. You may also want to enclose your disclaimer in <strong></strong> tags so that it stands out more.
Here is an example of the bottom of the footer.php code from the FirstsearchBlue website:
<!– <?php echo get_num_queries(); ?> queries. <?php timer_stop(1); ?> seconds. –>
<br><strong>Disclaimer: All Guide’s, How-To’s, Recommendations and anything on this site that may be deemed as advice, is taken at the user’s own risk. <a href =”http://firstsearchblue.com”>firstsearchblue.com</a> will not be held responsible for any unwanted events that result from following the information within any of our pages, posts or sites.</strong>
If we take the user julian, and we want to add the user to a prexisting supplemental group, apache, then you can use the following command:
usermod -a -G apache julian
If you would like to change the primary group of user julian to the group prexisting group, apache, you can use the following command:
usermod -g apache julian
This guide explains how to add a mailing list to WordPress and let users subscribe to the mailing list on your WordPress site.
First of all, a mailing list needs a backend, so any time you want to set one up, it’s going to be a two-step process, but don’t worry! It’s easy.
The first thing we have to do is install the mailing list software. For this we are going to use PHPlist – it’s the best and it’s very easy to use.
If you use a hosting service that offers Fantastico to install applications (which pretty much all of them do):
- Head into Fantastico
- Select PHPlist on the left side (under Mailing Lists)
- Create a new installation in a /lists/ folder on your site
- Set the admin username and password and the email address you would like to use for the mailing list
- You can skip the section immediately below this one
If you do not use a web hosting service, just download the latest version of PHPlist from their website and extract and upload it to the public_html/lists/ section of your web server.
Now we have to setup the list:
- Go to the URL where you installed PHPlist (probably http://YOURSITE.com/lists/)
- Go to the mainpage
- Select setup
- Go to initialize database – if you see any errors, you’ll have to login to phpmyadmin (try http://YOURSITE/phpMyAdmin or, click the phpMyAdmin link from the backend of your web hosting service, usually pretty close to where you clicked Fantastico)
- Click the SQL tab at the top
- Paste in the following line and hit Go (make sure to change the database name to the one that you are using, i.e. mysite77_plst1)
- ALTER DATABASE firsts77_plst1 DEFAULT CHARACTER SET latin1
- If you got the message “Your SQL query has been executed successfully” then you are good to go, if not, you probably didn’t change the database name to your own.
- Exit phpMyAdmin and go back to setting up your PHPlist
- Go back to the mainpage -> setup
- Go to configure attributes
- Add 2 new attributes: Name and Email
- Go back to the setup and create list
- Go back to the setup and create a new subscribe page (just change the Title for now, everything else can stay the same)
- NOTE:: In the Configure section there are a lot of options that you probably want to play around with – you don’t have to do that now, everything will work without customizing those items, but you probably want to come back to this area later to set things up the way you want them (i.e. change the “What name do system messages appear to come from” field
You’re finished setting up your PHPlist – now we just have to add a section on your WordPress site for users to subscribe to the mailing list
Head into the backend/dashboard section of your WordPress site
- Go to the plugins section and hit Add New
- Install the WP PHPList plugin and activate it
- Go to the Settings section and select PHPlist
- Fill in your information (make sure the Name and Email fields are checked off at the bottom)
- Hit Update Options (top and bottom)
Now you need to add a new page to your WordPress site called Subscribe
- Go to Pages -> Add New
- Set the title to Subscribe
- Hit the HTML button to add some code and past the following line:
- <!–phplist form–>
- Hit the Update Button and go check out your Subscribe Page
When you want to edit/manage/mail-to your list, go back into the area where we setup PHPlist (http://YOURSITE.com/lists)
- To mage the users list, hit users (in the menu on the right)
- To send a message, click send a message (in the menu on the right)
Feel free to ask any questions or post any problem, we reply very quickly.
This guides explains the best way to keep your site (and all its pages) up to date with three major search engines: Google, Bing and Ask
Initially, you should submit your main URL to the search engines manually, you can do that here: Submitting Your Site to the Search Engines
Once you have submitted, go and download the Google XML Sitemap plugin
- In your WordPress backend/dashboard go to Plugins -> Add New
- Search the Google XML Sitemap Plugin, install it, activate it
- Head into the settings section of your WordPress backend
- Go to the XML Sitemap settings
- Generate your first sitemap (using the link in the settings section)
- Make sure that you have the options enables to send sitemap changes to Google, Bing and Ask
Here is a list of the links to submit your site to all the major search engines. Submitting your URL does not guarantee that the search engines will pick you up, but it does let them know you’re out there and typically, if you have a half decent site, they will list you.
Submit your site to Google
Submit your site to Bing
Submit your site to Yahoo
Submit your site to Ask.com
- Just send them an email with your URL and a site description to [email protected]
For anyone used to taking screenshots on their PC, this explains how to do it all on your Mac.
|Capture entire screen and save as a file||Command+Shift+3|
|Capture entire screen and copy to the clipboard||Command+Control+Shift+3|
|Capture dragged area and save as a file||Command+Shift+4|
|Capture dragged area and copy to the clipboard||Command+Control+Shift+4|
|Capture a window, menu, desktop icon, or the menu bar and save as a file||Command+Shift+4 then Space bar|
|Capture a window, menu, desktop icon, or the menu bar and copy to the clipboard||Command+Control+Shift+4 then Space bar|