The 6 Best Tricep Workouts for Increased Size!
Looking for Bigger Triceps? These are the 6 best tricep exercises to build size.
We recommend selecting 3 of these for 1 week, and taking the other 3 for the next week. Alternating your tricep workouts each week is the best way to ensure you are always making them sore and always making them grow. If you find that after a few weeks with these tricep wourkouts your triceps are no longer getting sore, then change up the reps and the weight. For example, the first week you feel like shocking them back into getting sore (tearing the muscle enough so that you know they are going to grow) switch to only doing 8 reps with with an additional 10 pounds per hand for individual hand exercises (i.e. overhead dumbbell extenstions), or an additional 20 pounds for tricep workouts that use both hands (i.e. skull crushers/lying tricep extensions). This should shock the triceps back into serious growth. The following week pick a weight that you can do 14 reps with and try to do 3 to 4 sets of 12-14 reps. Then go back to 12-10-8 (see below). Remember: Always eat 30-50 grams of protein within half an hour of finishing your workout! (Protein Powder of the Year -5 years in a row)
1. Skull Crushers (aka lying tricep extenstions)
- Select a weight that you can do no more than 12 reps with (likely in the 40 to 80 pound range)
- Do 12 reps for your first set, 10 for the second and 8 for the third
Lying Tricep Extension How To Video
2. Tricep Pushdown (using cable machine)
- Knees slightly bent, shoulders back, elbos in front of hips, extend your arms from 90 degrees to straight
- Do 12 reps for your first set, 10 then 8 (really we try to do as many as possible on the final set)
- Alternate between different bar types (easy curl, stright bar, v-bar, rope)
- when selecting 3 tricep workouts for a day, try to pick three that use different and positions such as easy-curl skull crushers, straight bar tricep pushdowns and dips
3. Dips or Weighted Dips
- As always, start with 12-10-8 (reps) on the first day doing the exercise (then you can change things ups according to the info at the start of this post)
4. Overhead Cable Tricep Extentions
Overhead Cable Tricep Extension How To Video
5. Overhead Tricep Extensions with Dumbbell
Overhead Tricep Extensions How To Video
6. Tricep Kickbacks
Tricep Pump Workouts
If your looking for the maximum tricep pump, we recommend the following exercise:
- Cable push downs in slow motion
- Push the weight down at a medium pace over a 3 second count
- Squeeze and flex your triceps at the bottom and hold for 4 seconds
- Bring your arms back to 90 degrees very slowly, over 5 seconds
For this Tricep workout you want to feel the burn as much as possible. Focus on using every bit of energy in the muscle so that by your last rep you can’t even keep the weight down. Do higher reps (12 to 14) for 4 sets, with lower weight and make sure to perform the workout painfully slowly – try to keep your triceps squeezed and flexed the whole time, especially at the bottom when your arms are fully extended.
Check back for new info on the best tricep workouts. We are going to add sections for maximizing strength and endurance. We’ll also let you know the best supplement routine to follow when building triceps and biceps.