iPhone 5 Specs & Release Date October 4 2011
27 January 2011
The iphone 4S release is expected today (October 4 2011) at 11:00 PDT (2:00PM EST)!
So far from today’s conference the features highlighted on the new iPhone are:
Now Confirmed Features on the new Iphone
- The new iPhone will be a 4S model and not an iPhone 5 (good call CNet), though it still has plenty of cool new features.
- It will have a new dual core A5 processor in it, apparently twice as fast as the iPhone 4′s.
- Graphics will be 7 times more efficient in the iPhone 4S than the 4.
- There will be a new antenna system to correct the reception issues.
- The camera has an 8 megapixel sensor, can capture higher than 3264 x 2448 resolution and shoots 1080p video at 30 frames per second.
- Today’s presenter not get specific if the iPhone was 4G as the standard seems to have wide boundaries but did say the new iPhone will have 5.8 Mbps upload and 14.4 Mbps download speeds.
- The new iPhone will be both GSM and CDMA making it easy to bring it across borders.
- Siri made it into the phone in a pretty large way. Rumoured to be called assistant, the app lets you speak pretty much anything into the phone and get an answers back. For example, if you want to know if there is a type of restaurant in the area you can simply ask your phone exactly that and it will give you the top 5 listings from Yelp based on your spoken parameters.
- In the United States the phone will be 16GB for $199, 32GB for $299 and 64GB for $399 under contract. It will probably be about the same price in Canada.
Compared to the compiled rumours below it looks like the analysts were pretty close!
- NFC Technology – The new iPhone 5 supports NFC technology the one which is used in Google’s Flagship Android phone, the Nexus S. With NFC technology, iPhone 5 will have extremely high data transfer rate between two devices.
- Slimmer and lighter – The enclosure for the iphone 5 (or 4s) will be much more economically spaced, allowing for a slimmer and lighter iphone than it’s predecessor.
- New Smart and brainy iPhone – Now with the new iphone5, you can even get answers to your questions like: What is the phone number of nearby hotel, Dispensary, taxi company? What Italian restaurant is nearby?
- Facial Recognition – The iPhone will be able to identify its owner through facial recognition. The phone can be unlocked and begin to function after recognizing its owner. We’ve seen similar technology in laptops when logging on to windows via face recognition. It no doubt come in handy for other apps.
- iPhone 5 Camera – The new iPhone 5 will have an 8 megapixel camera and can record full HD video (720p we expect) with a capped recording time of 25 to 30 seconds. The camera is equipped with a Omnivision OV8820 sensor.
- Case - The iphone enclosure will be slimmer and lighter than the iphone 4.
- Battery Power – iPhone 5 comes with an awesome battery that exceeds the life of the 3G by 14 hours – 7 hours over 4G which makes it perfect for heavy use.
- iPhone 5 Screen Size - 4.0 inches (scratch and shatter proof) Apple will be removing more of the nonsensitive borders on either side of the screen, reducing the size of the home button and possibly increase the size of the phone itself.
- iPhone 5 Processor – The Iphone 5 will be powered 1.2GHz Dual Core Qualcomm wireless baseband chip.
- iPhone 5 provides you with a variety of email alerts and notification. You can now assign alerts for different emails as well.
How iPhone 5 is different from iPhone 4?
- The processor used in iPhone 5 is a 1.2GHz dual core processor which makes it faster than its former version in the iPhone 4
- iPhone 4 had a complication regarding the antenna issue, attenuation in receiving signals, dropping off calls etc. will be completely sorted out with iPhone 5.
- The battery backup of iPhone 4 is high enough to last up to 48 hours despite of its heavy use. With iPhone 5 we expect no issues regarding the battery life. It will have an extended battery life of 14 hours on 3G and 7 hours on 4G with a stand by time of 600 hours.
- The hardrive will be larger on the iPhone 5, a range of sizes will be offered up to around 64Gb.
- iPhone 5 is expected to have a 8 MP camera, an upgraded from iPhone 4′s 5MP, to capture high quality pictures and videos.
iPhone 5 Release Date
The iPhone 5 is expected to launch sometime in the middle of August 2012 in the US and shortly after that in Canada. Most analysts are calling for a Canadian release date of October 1 2011 to Telus and Rogers.
The information in this article is based on the most reliable rumors we found. Final specs will likely differ, but this list gives us some good hints as to what we can expect.