This guide contains a list of ways for you to take the upper hand over your landlord. These are little-known, legal secrets that can help you when you fell like you are being pushed around by your landlord.
Interest on Last Month’s Rent Deposit
Remember that deposit cheque you made out for your last month’s rent? Do you think it’s a little strange that the landlord just gets to use that money for 11 months? As it turns out, the landlord must pay you interest on the last month’s rent deposit. The interest rate changes annually, but currently (2010) it’s at around 1.7%. So if you pay $400 a month, your landlord is legally obligated to give you $6.23 at the beginning of that last month. If you like math… that’s $400 x 0.017 / (11/12).
The concept of paying the last month’s rent upfront seems at first like it might be a scam in favor of the landlord. As it turns out, this deposit provides protection to the tenant – the fact that you have paid this deposit makes it much harder for a landlord to kick you out prematurely.
24 Hours Notice Before Showing
In most states and provinces (Ontario for sure) your landlord is required by law to give you 24 hours notice before showing the residence that you are renting. This is especially prevalent in student housing where landlords frequently take advantage of students by giving them only a few hours notice (or none at all) before showing the residence to groups of students looking to rent the house/apartment the next year. If your landlord tries to swindle you into having your home shown without 24 hours notice, you have every right to deny him/her entry to the residence.
Eviction due to Smoking / Pets
In Ontario, renting a house always brings to mind. “Are we allowed to have pets?” The answer is YES! Unless there is a clause in your lease agreement clearly not permitting pets within the residence (which technically isn’t even enough to keep you from doing it), pets are okay to have. The only real issue that can be justified is that if the pet is causing damages or disturbing tenants, which is the only justifiable reason for eviction in this case. Same of which goes for smoking within your residence, as long as it’s not disturbing other tenants, burning the carpets, or illegal substances!
Here is how you execute a shell command from within a c++ program on Linux/Unix
Example Code: (this code creates a new directory called newFolder22 in the /home/sam/ directory);
system (“mkdir /home/sam/newFolder22”);
Here is the best and simplest way to go from a string to an array of characters in C++
std::string myString = “My Name is Sam”;
char *myCharArray = (char*)myString.c_str();
This guide explains how to install perl modules using CPAN in Linux
- Type: perl -MCPAN -e shell;
- This will take you into the perl cpan shell – if you are promted to answer some questions, just answer them (typically with the default answer – just press enter)
- Type: install MODULENAME
- i.e. Type: install IO::Socket
- Answer all the questions, generally just use the default (press enter)
- if something fails and it appears that it should not have, you can try: force install MODULENAME
Ever wonder how to change the little browser icon of your webpage?
This guide will explain it in just a few steps (for both a traditional webpage and for a WordPress theme)
- Go find the image that you would like to use for your logo
- Scale the image down so that it is exactly 24×24 pixels
- Save the image as an Icon file: On windows, this is just a BMP file, on MAC you can save as Windows Icon File
- The filename must be: favicon.ico
Save the file in your wp-content/themes/YOUR-THEME-NAME/images (overwrite the existing one)
For a Traditional HTML Page
Save the file in your website root directory
Changing the WordPress logo really just consists of overwriting the logo.gif in the theme you are using with file with your own logo.gif file – Here are the steps:
- Open up the image that you would like to use for your new WordPress logo
- Save your file as logo.gif (File->Save As)
- Open up your ftp client (or however it is you view the files on your WordPress site)
- Navigate to the themes directory (www.mysite.com/wp-content/themes)
- Navigate into the images directory of the theme you are using
- Delete the logo.gif or logo.png file that is currently in there (the old logo you want to get rid of)
- Copy/upload your file (in place of the old one you just deleted) NOTE: you must have the same file extension as the file you are replacing, (png or gif)
The URLs that WordPress Generates by default are no good (for humans or search engines.) This guide will explain how to fix that giving you more legible URLs as well as Search Engine Friendly WordPress URLs
- Head into the admin section of you WordPress site
- Select Settings (bottom right)
- Select Permalinks
- Choose the custom option and paste this into the text field: /%postname%
- That’s it! from now on when you create a new post, it will be given a URL in accordance with the name of the post. For example, check out the URL you are at right now. Before I changed my settings it would have read something like “firstsearchblue.com/?p=7563” (useless…) but now! “firstsearchblue/better-wordlpress-urls” (beautiful)