When Icefilms Goes Down
As you probably already know, Icefilms is having a bit of trouble migrating from their Go-Daddy hosting account to their sexy new dedicated servers. This is causing some service disruption for both computer and ATV2 users. Thankfully, the Icefilms admin often keep a backup server running a couple days behind in link updates.
To access the backup server database you just have to replace the default.py file in the plugin.video.icefilms directory.
The backup file can be found here. It is pretty much the exact same as regular default.py file except the script points at the vds.icefilms.info domain and the google custom search query info is slightly modified.
Getting it on Your Apple TV
- Download the new Icefilms.info plugin component here: default.py and save it somewhere you can find it easily
- SSH into your jailbroken Apple Tv box with XMBC installed using
- Find the directory plugin.video.icefilms it should be located:
Apple tv2: /private/var/mobile/Library/Preferences/XBMC/addons/plugin.video.icefilms/
Apple tv1: /mnt/Scratch/Users/frontrow/Library/ApplicationSupport/XBMC/addons/plugin.video.icefilms/
- Grab the old default.py file and save it on your local computer. You need to hold on to this for when Icefilms comes back up!
- Drag the new default.py file into the plugin.video.icefilms directory to replace the existing one.
You should be good to go! The search function may not work perfectly sometimes, we’re still working on that. Let us know how it goes!
You can install a version of the ATV Icefilms script that will allow you to change the domain that it listens to in the settings. The script was modified by wesada and Blackgod88 to bring you this functionality. You can download it here.
When Icefilms.info goes down, simply go into your preferences and change the domain to vds.icefilms.info. The default setting is icefilms.info.